Thursday, December 5, 2013

So, what is Proto:48?

The models and the layout I will describe in this blog will be built in 1/48th scale. In model railroad lingo, this is also called “O Scale”. This means that a quarter of an inch represents the real life distance of one foot:   ¼” = 1’. This is also commonly called ¼” scale.

Proto:48 is a subset of the O Scale model railroad community.  Proto:48 exists because modelers desired to accurately model prototype railroad equipment including track gauge and wheel profile. O Scale model trains usually “feature” wheels that are grossly over sized and track that had the rails spaced too far apart.

The Proto:48 modeling standards define specific dimensions for track gauge, wheel profiles for locomotives & cars, and the relationship between them. Our models start out with correctly scaled wheels, and run on correctly scaled track with a proper gauge of 4' 8 ½" between the rails.

Some modelers (myself included), feel that Proto:48 also expresses an overall modeling concept of finescale modeling. Proto:48 modelers usually strive for a high level of realism in the entire model, with accurate details, paint and lettering, to create a true scale replica of the prototype. To me, it seems only natural that the entire model should be built with the same fidelity to scale that is applied to the wheels and track.

Of course there are limits as to what is really practical and each modeler will have to decide for themselves where they will have to compromise. For me, I will strive to make each model I create, as accurate and life-like as I possibly can with my talents.....and help from you, my modeling friends!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment